When I became a consultant I learned several things. First, if I didn’t work I didn’t get paid. At work, I got paid whether I worked or not. Second, consultants are hired to solve problems and employees are hired to do work. But, consultants are generally paid more than employees. What does that tell you? Lastly, clients called me because they had real problems that needed solutions. Even if you are an employee you must act like a consultant.
Have you ever noticed how consultants work? They come in, talk a lot, pontificate, delegate to employees and send a big bill. The key is the pontification.
Here’s what they do:
- They establish themselves as an expert.
- They garner trust.
- They recognize who pays them.
- They challenge the status quo respectfully.
- They listen.
- They learn about the organization.
- They recommend a solution to a real problem.
- They assist in implementing the solution.
You need to act like a consultant!