Matt Siltala’s Tweet (see blow) mocking the frequent and controversial “SEO is Dead” Headline prompted some rather obvious SEO link bait observations and a chuckle.
Before I explain what I deem to be the perfect storm for SEO Link Bait in December 2009, I should define “Link Bait.” The LunaMetrics blog has the following definition for Link Bait:
What is Link Bait?
Link bait is content on your site to which other sites link because they want to, not because you ask them to. Traditionally, links are hard to get, requiring you to sacrifice your first born child (and at least link back, which nullifies their value in some search engines.) But with link bait, you “bait” your content and sit back and wait.
Why Should You Care About link bait?
Links are the currency of the internet. A very large portion (approx greater than 75%) of SEO consists of the quality and quantity of inbound links to your website. If the content that you create online entices others to link to your content, you are telling search engines that your content is relevant and important.
SEO Link Bait Perfect Storm
The first half of the Link Bait Perfect Storm is the TIME OF YEAR. With 2009 quickly coming to an end, bloggers will be creating “Best” and “Worst” Lists of 2009 and making predictions for 2010. A common Link Bait Strategy is to write “Lists.” For Example, 10 easy ways to do XYZ. [It is implied that the conent produced after the headline adds value.]
The second half of the Link Bait Perfect Storm is a Major EVENT occurring. Major events open the door for strong opinions and opportunity to create compelling link bait headlines. Google’s Recent Launch of Real Time Search (December 7th, 2009) have SEO implications (some think major implications, some think otherwise).
With 2009 coming to an end and Google launching real time search, internet marketers are making bold statements and creating compelling link bait for SEO. Some of the best SEO link bait in December of 2009 are:
- 2010: The Year SEO isnt important anymore? by Robert Scoble (Really? This post generated heated debate from the SEO community.)
- Is SEO Dead? 1997 Prediction, Meet 2007 Reality by Danny Sullivan (Reaction to Scoble’s bold blog post)
- Ignore the Silly Man, SEO Still Matters for SMB’s by Lisa Barone (Reaction to Scoble’s bold blog post)
- SEO is DEAD, Long Live SEO by Patricio Robles (written prior to Scoble’s blog post.)
- 8 Predictions for SEO in 2010 by Rand Fishkin (2010 Prediction by SEO Expert Rand Fishkin. Many factors to consier including a predicition on the future of Google’s real time search. Read it.)
- Google Enables Real Time Spam and More by Rae Hoffman (Reaction to Google’s Real Time Search Algorithm Upadate)
- 10 Ways Social Media Will Change in 2010 by Ravit Lichtenberg (Great read.)
Predictions that “SEO is Dead,” have been running rampant since 1997. SEO should be a part of every businesses strategy for the forseeable future. More SEO Link Bait content will be created before 2010 as a result of the time of year and google launching real time search.