The Covid-19 pandemic has posed many serious and dangerous challenges for workers everywhere?—?not just for workers on the job, but for workers trying to exercise their right to organize. But there have also been unexpected bright spots on this front over the past year, including a boom in union drives at nonprofits around the United States. One of those nonprofits is the American Civil Liberties Union, where staff workers recently voted to unionize with the Nonprofit Professional Employees Union (NPEU). In this episode, we talk with two representatives from ACLU Staff United, Gillian Ganesan and Alex Ortiz, and NPEU President Kayla Blado about the unionization effort at the ACLU and the growing nonprofit labor movement.
Additional links/?info below…
- Gillian’s Twitter page
- Alex’s Twitter page
- Kayla’s Twitter page
- ACLU Staff United website and Twitter page
- NPEU website, Facebook page, and Twitter page
- NPEU, ?“PRESS RELEASE: ACLU Staff Ask Leadership to Voluntarily Recognize Staff Union”
- Eli Rosenberg, The Washington Post, ?“ACLU Workers Are Forming a Union, The Latest in a Wave of Nonprofit Staffs to Organize”
- Hamilton Nolan, In These Times, ?“A Quiet Frenzy of Union Organizing Has Gripped the Nonprofit World”
- Eli Rosenberg, The Washington Post, ?“Workers Are Forming Unions at Nonprofits and Think Tanks. Their Bosses Aren’t Always Happy”
- Kayla Blado, In These Times, ?“The Answer To Burnout At Work Isn’t ?“Self-Care”?—?It’s Unionizing”
- Hamilton Nolan, In These Times, ?“The Animal Legal Defense Fund Is Busting Its Union With a Smile”
Featured Music (all songs sourced from the Free Music Archive:freemu?si?carchive?.org)
- Jules Taylor, ?“Working People theme song”
- Astrometrics, ?“I Have Heard of a Place”
This blog originally appeared at In These Times on February 3, 2021. Reprinted with permission.
About the Author: Maximillian Alvarez is a writer and editor based in Baltimore and the host of Working People, ?“a podcast by, for, and about the working class today.” His work has been featured in venues like In These Times, The Nation, The Baffler, Current Affairs, and The New Republic.
The post In the Shadow of Covid, ACLU Joins Non-Profit Unionization Surge first appeared on Today’s Workplace.