Case Study 2: An HR Team’s Aha Moment
What We Learned:
- Works especially well with intact teams who come together for the specific purpose of strengthening working relationships and looking to enhance overall team performance.
- Works especially well when everyone has leadership roles/responsibilities versus narrowly defined individual contributor roles.
- Has right answers. Unlike other assessments (including other DiSC profiles), the WOL does have right answers! The WOL focuses on how your tendencies influence your effectiveness in specific leadership situations, rather than facilitating an understanding of differences between individuals. In other words, the behaviors on the top end of each scale are leadership best practices.
- Hickman, C., Smith, T., & Connors, R. (2010). The Oz Principal: Getting Results Through Individual and Organizational Accountability. Penguin Press. Originally published in 1994, this book offers practical and invaluable advice that illustrated how important personal and organizational accountability is for a company to achieve and maintain its best results.
- Kouzes, J.M. & Posner, B.Z. (2012). The Leadership Challenge: How to Make Extraordinary Things Happen in Organizations 2012. Jossey-Bass.
- McChesney, C; Covey, S; & Huling, J. (2012). The 4 Disciplines of Execution: Achieving Your Wildly Important Goals. 2012. Free Press – A Division of Simon & Schuster Inc. Additional resources, including video and blog can be found here.
- Montgomery, C. (2013). The Strategist: Be the Leader Your Business Needs. HarperCollins. Montgomery is the Timken Professor of Business Administration and former head of the Strategy Unit at Harvard Business School. Based on her renowned strategy course at Harvard, The Strategist offers a radically new perspective on a leader’s most vital role.
- Straw, J., Davis, B., Scullard, M., & Kukkonen, S. (2013). The Work of Leaders: How Vision, Alignment, and Execution Will Change the Way You Lead. John Wiley & Sons.
- Yokoyama , J & Michelli, J. (2004). When Fish Fly. Hyperion. The magic of the World Famous Pike Place Fish Market offers a dynamic example of what a group of people can create when they are aligned and living a powerful vision.
- Why Accountability? From the authors of the OZ Principle, this link includes a video clip and resources on the subject of accountability.
- Cuddy, A.J.C., Kohut, M., & Neffinger, J. Connect Then Lead. Harvard Business Review, July/August 2013.
- Folkman, J. The Six ways to Inspire & Motivate Top Performance (visionary and execution are in the top four). Forbes, May 2013.
- Kouzes, J.M. & Posner, B.Z. To Lead, Create a Shared Vision. Harvard Business Review, January 2009.
- Kouzes, J.M. & Posner, B.Z. The Truth About Leadership The No-Fads, Heart-of-the-Matter Facts You Need to Know. Business Book Review, 2010 by Jossey-Bass.