You all know I like a new shiny social media site/tool/platform. Recently we had Pinterest, and I also highlighted a few more exciting ways social media is being used here. But the question is, how many more ‘shiny things’ does a recruiter need? After all, many are still struggling to come to terms with using LinkedIn to its potential!
There are so many great social media tools a recruiter can now use. When you think about it, we have a wealth of social recruiting potential right at the end of our fingertips, right now ………….
- We have social networking sites like LinkedIn, Xing, Viadeo etc – great sources of professional people.
- We have social media sites like Twitter, Facebook and Google+ – brilliant ways of finding and engaging with a wide range of people.
- We have some superb image sites at our disposal like YouTube, Flickr, Instagram and Pinterest – perfect for leveraging employer brand.
- We have a superb social tool in Foursquare which is awesome for location based sourcing – bringing the phrase ‘tracking down candidates’ to a whole new level.
- We have social media friendly recruitment platorms like Bullhorn Reach and SmartRecruiters that allows candidates to use their social profiles to apply for your jobs.
- We have a whole range of specialist social seach engines such as Pipl, Yauba, Spezify, Yatedo etc that tap right into the social sphere for finding people.
- We have the ‘new’ social search engine – Google – that returns searches based on your social networks and their activities in their social networks.
- We have Facebook applications like Work4Labs, NetNatives and Branchout that allow you to use the huge power of the Facebook network to help you recruit.
- We have tools like SocialMention, Trackr and Google Alerts that will let you know when people are talking about you in the social world – and tell you the moment they do.
- We have some brilliant new geeky tools to play with for candidate attraction and engagement like QR Codes, Aurasma and Layar – superb for cutting edge recruitment activities.
Now just think…… IF you mastered finding people and engaging with candidates and clients on all (or most of) the platforms/sites above you would be pretty damn good I reckon! Probably make a heap more placements as well at the same time!
There are some people in our industry that say that social recruiting – using social media in recruitment – is a waste of your time, that you won’t get anything out of it. OK – they are entitled to their opinions. But they are probably still living in black and white, and havent realised the world has moved onto colour!
There are so many ways you can now use social media, to help you find more people and make more placements – many alongside your existing tools and processes. Surely, you would be crazy not to, wouldn’t you?