Motivation is one of the key ingredients to bring out the best from any one. Motivating your employees will influence the business to a great extent. However, with tough times and demand, it is natural for people to become disengaged with their jobs at some point of time. At these times, it is important to inject motivation tonic.
Salary is often enough to keep employees working for an organization, but not necessarily enough to capitalize on their full potential. But a motivated employee will always be a highly productive staff, which will help you achieve your business goals. Few thoughts on motivation:
The Impact of motivation on Business and Excellence:
- Motivated employees will retain a high level of innovation.
- Motivation leads to look for better ways to do a job.
- Motivated people are more quality conscious.
- Employees become more productive and efficient if they are at right dose of motivation.
Practical ways to motivate your resources
When it comes to motivation, everyone is different and what motivates one employee may not work for another. Employees can be motivated by various factors and by different people in an organization. Right from the CEO of an organization everybody has a role to play to motivate employees.
If you are a Manager, you should be the key source of motivation for your direct reportees and Peers.
- Involve your team in decision making at times of bottlenecks. It is not necessary you should always accept to what they say; instead let them know if it is not a better suggestion and be ready to accept if it is perfect. This will give them more freedom and at the same time increases their feel of responsibility.
- Give people a chance to grow and learn new skills; show them how you can help them meet their goals within the context of meeting the organization’s goals.
- Create a partnership with each employee.
- Spend time with your team. See how you can help in bringing efficiency or solve some of their challenges. If that means, rolling up your sleeves and jump in along with them – do it when required. Give a feeling that you are there for them to help in their work. (Just be cautious though – you are not getting into micromanaging and breathing on their shoulders every time).
- Appreciate their achievements publicly.
If you are an Employee, you still have a role to motivate yourself and your team members. Nobody else can know you better than your own self.
- When you feel bored up or frustrated just think of your successes, appreciations received, times when you felt you are at your best. This will be a silent boost for your energy.
- Motivating your team members is equally important as motivating yourself. Ensure your team is always geared up especially at critical hours.
- Have a friendly space with all in your team and encourage or appreciate whenever your colleague demands. Do your best to keep your team interested.
If you are a CEO, you are the base of motivation.
- As a part of Management team the best way of motivation lies in rewarding the employees especially as an individual than as a group. One day lunch with the CEO of company has miles to go in motivating the employee.
- Adding up Casual Dress days and “Pizza” days may keep the employees more interested.
- Better Relationship between employees and Management team is a simple but often missed out technique. Ensure you are at the right Distance.
- Institute a rewards program to celebrate people’s achievements. Celebration can be as simple as public appreciation, cutting a cake, etc
- Bring in motivation as a part of organization culture. It has to be self-sustaining and driven by people.
If you are a HR person, Motivation is closely related to you, as it is to the Organization culture.
- Meeting employee needs can definitely keep them up. Major needs from an employee would be Physiological Need, Social Need, Esteem Need and Safety Needs.
- Conduct Social Events, Organize Team lunch, group treks etc. Make all this interesting for employees by forming a volunteering team.
- Take initiatives and celebrate the festivals.
- Be sure that you maintain a friendly environment to work on which includes stuffs like pleasant ambience, Temperature, Relaxing zones (Gym, Lawn, etc.).
- Sports are the biggest factors of energy and motivation. Don’t miss it out.
- Finally conduct the performance appraisals on time and in an easy and friendly manner. Keep rewardingthe employees for their efforts. In short, be more open, flexible and caring.
Through motivation, we seek to secure staff commitment; develop and manage them to give their best to support Organization’s aims and objectives and ultimately serve the society with the best quality.
Synergita uses a new concept called “continuous feedback” which can help a lot in motivating and employee engagement.
More Info: http://blog.synergita.com