Christmas is a time of reflection – I guess primarily because most of us take the time off. But for me, time off just causes me problems! Let me explain….
You see, I am continually thinking about new business ideas, new social media tools, website changes, new ventures, new books to read etc etc etc (and yes this drives my wife absolutely nuts!!). When I am really busy at work, I just don’t have the brain bandwidth to allow these ‘ideas’ to flourish, because I am so focused on the client’s project I am working on.
But, come the downtime, when my brain has time to ‘breathe’ and it goes into overdrive with new ideas 🙂 And with the fast moving world of social media, keeping up with it all is a real challenge (albeit, one that I really do enjoy!)
While this is great for creativity, it just creates MORE work for me on my return, because I just HAVE to explore my ideas! (Is this sounding familiar with you…….I bet it is!)
So when I was reading a blog today that directed me to the site Workaholics Anonymous (yes it is real!) I initially started to laugh loudly…………………………..then I worryingly began to tick off the list of 20 questions one by one!!
But what about you? Are you a workaholic? According to the rules of the site, you only have to answer ‘yes’ to three of these questions below, to be defined as a workaholic. My problem is that I struggle to answer three that I can’t tick!!! (Don’t you laugh just yet, you go down the list and score yourself!)
So go on then, don’t be scared, just answer away……….
See if you are a workaholic by answering these questions:
1. Do you get more excited about your work than about family or anything else?
2. Are there times when you can charge through your work and other times when you can’t?
3. Do you take work with you to bed? Do you Tweet, Facebook or go on Linkedin on weekends or on holiday?
4. Is work the activity you like to do best and talk about most on Twitter or Facebook?
5. Do you work more than 40 hours a week – has Twitter extended your working week?
6. Do you turn your hobbies into money-making ventures?
7. Do you take complete responsibility for the outcome of your work efforts?
8. Have your family or friends given up expecting you on time? is it “…just one more tweet”?
9. Do you take on extra work because you are concerned that it won’t otherwise get done?
10. Do you underestimate how long a project will take and then rush to complete it?
11. Do you believe that it is okay to work long hours if you love what you are doing?
12. Do you get impatient with people who have other priorities besides work?
13. Are you afraid that if you don’t work hard you will lose your job or be a failure?
14. Is the future a constant worry for you even when things are going very well?
15. Do you do things energetically and competitively including play?
16. Do you get irritated when people ask you to stop doing your work in order to do something else?
17. Have your long hours in front of the computer screen hurt your family or other relationships?
18. Do you think about your work while driving, falling asleep or when others are talking?
19. Do you work, read or tweet during meals?
20. Do you believe that more money will solve the other problems in your life?
Well, how did you get on then?
Now join me by reading these words……..” I have a problem….I am a workaholic” Feel better now?
Right off to plan for 2010 now, in my sleep, while driving, in the shower etc etc Ha ha ha ha!! I will never learn 🙂