This week’s 5 for Friday rounds up five stories about the latest trends in HR leadership.
- It’s a Mistake to Make Succession a Horse Race. HBR Blog Network: “While succession planning needs focus on identifying candidates for senior positions, too often the focus is on the horse race — who’s ahead — rather than the organization — who’s best prepared to lead.”
- SHRM Offers Performance Management Standard. HR Executive online: “Employers large and small, in fact, historically have struggled with making sure they are getting the best out of their workforces. Yet, while no one will argue that effectively managing employee performance isn’t critical to organizational success, the issue is how to do it consistently and do it well.”
- Own Your Life and Career: 8 Steps to Achieving a Leader’s Mindset. HuffingtonPost.com: “What would you do differently in your role today if you were to embrace an owner’s mindset? Of the eight ideas above, which one would open up greater possibilities or growth?”
- Five Reasons Great Leaders are Great Networkers. Leadership & Learning: “As a leader you have responsibilities to your organization, your team and yourself. Networking can help you balance and improve your success with all of those responsibilities. Here are five ways networking can help you.”
- Susan Cain Helped Introverts Find Their Voice; Now, She’ll Teach Them To Embrace Public Speaking. FastCompany.com: “It’s a matter, Cain says, of personal style–the way you connect one-on-one will be the same way you connect from the stage. Are you funny or warm? What’s happening when you hit it off with someone? Take note, because the way you relate to a friend in conversation will be the same way you relate to your audience.”