Welcome to the Human Capital League
, a moderated online business community for workplace professionals and people who advise them.
To use most of the community features of this site, you need to sign up. Once a registered member, you can create your own profile and view the profiles of others. You can also leave comments, rate posts, and directly connect with other members. And you can feed your existing blogs to the content flow of Human Capital League or create posts directly on our site.
Below are answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about getting started. If you still have any questions feel free to e-mail me at email@example.com. How do I register?
- Click Sign Up on the top-right navigation bar
- On the Registration page, provide your e-mail address, a password, and your first and last names.
- Enter the Characters shown.in the box
- Click Next.
- Provide a Personal URL and an Alias.
- Note: Your Alias will appear on your posts and comments. If you decide later you want to change it, you can click Manage My Account on the top-left navigation bar, and under Admin click Change Alias.
- Click Register and then click Finish on the next page.
You will receive an e-mail thanking you for signing up with Human Capital League. You must click the link provided in the e-mail to complete the registration process. This link will take you to the Profile Information Request
2. How do I add a photo and profile?
- Under Marketing Info, select “Yes” (it is selected by default) if you want to be contacted about events, products, services, etc. Otherwise, select “No.”
- Click Submit.
To enjoy the full benefits of Human Capital League and share information with your fellow members, you should create a profile and upload a photograph of yourself. The photograph (or avatar) is especially important, because, it will appear with your posts and comments. As a matter of policy, we don't use posts without a photo or avatar be sure to add one if you plan to add your blog.
To upload a photo
Once you are signed in as a registered member:
To create a profile
- Click Profile on the top-left navigation bar. You will see your name already entered under Personal Info.
- Under About Me, in the left column, click the empty picture box to open the Change Personal Photo page. (This is the same page whether you are adding a photograph for the first time or changing it later.)
- Click the Choose File button and select a smallish headshot of your good-looking self from your hard drive and upload. (Since the photograph will display as a thumbnail, a headshot is ideal.)
Return to the Change Personal Photo page, and the file name for the photograph you have uploaded will be visible next to the Choose File button. It may take a few minutes and you may need to hit F5 to refresh before the photograph itself displays in the picture box.
- Click Save.
3. How do I connect to other members?
- Click Profile on the navigation bar at the top left of the page to open your Profile page.
- Click Edit at the end of each block of information to open a series of text boxes and fill in as much as you like. Think about what information about yourself – your work focus, contact information, work history, etc. – you would like to share with the other members of Human Capital League.
- When you're ready, click Accept to the right for each entry you make.
- With each entry, you can click Permission to specify which other members may view your profile.
The default setting is Community, which means all members of Human Capital League will have access to the information. If you prefer, click Nobody or My Connections, and then click Accept.
You can connect with other members of HCL to create a network of members you want to communicate directly with. When a member accepts your invitation, he or she is then listed in your Connections, which means it’s easy for you to send messages at any time.
- Click Profile on the navigation bar at the top left of the page.
- Under Connections, on the right of the page, click Edit Connections to open the Manage My Connections page.
- The Manage My Connections page displays your current list of connections. Under My Connections in the left sidebar, click Add Connections.
- From the drop-down box, select the search method you want to use: Email, Alias, or Username. Then enter the appropriate information in the text box. Click Search.
Remember: The member’s alias displays on his or her posts. So, if you don’t know the person’s email address or username, you can always search by alias.
The photo and name of the member will display below. Alongside the name are two options: Invite and Send Message.
- Click Invite to open the “Connect with <member name>” page.
- Type the digits shown in the text box.
- Click Send.
When he or she clicks the Accept button opposite your photo and name, a confirmation will appear on your page under the “People that have agreed to connect with me” section.
Now that you have added the member to your connections, you can send a message at any time.To send a message to a member
- Click Manage My Account on the top-left navigation bar.
- Under My Connections in the left sidebar, click Manage My Connections.
- On the page that opens you will see your list of connections. Opposite the name of the member you want to contact, click Send Message.
- On the Send Message page, enter the appropriate information in the Subject and Message text boxes and click Send. A confirmation will appear immediately on the page.
4. How do I add my blog to the HCL content flow?
- On the home page, find Resource Center and click Autopost.
- On the bar under Manage Autopost Links, click Insert RSS URL to open the Add Autopost page.
- In the RSS URL text box. paste the URL of your RSS feed.
- Click the Add URL button. It will add a symbol like <--URL--> which tells the software to add a link back to the original at the end of your post.
- Scroll down and click Save.
- Click Read Now on the horizontal bar. After a few seconds, go to the top of the page and click My Posts. Your posts should be listed there. (You won't see them on the home page until they've been approved by the moderator.)
Once the feed is established, the system will automatically pull in your latest posts, which will be reviewed by an editor. (If you have a new post that hasn’t shown up yet on the front page, it simply means that the editor is taking a nap, decided it wasn't on target, somebody else had already done it, or it wasn't all that great. Don't be discouraged.)To create a post directly on HCL
Note: By adding your blog feed or posting here directly, you are giving us your unrestricted but non-exclusive permission to use your content on this site.
- Click Create Post on the navigation bar below the banner.
- Type a title of your post in the Title text box.
- In the main text box, write something amusing and click Post.
- You can also save what you've written as a draft and publish it later.
5. How do I change my password, email, photo or alias?
All of these changes can be made on the Manage My Account link on the top-left navigation bar.
To change your email address
To change your password
- Under Admin, click Change Email.
- On the Change Email page, enter your current email address and your password in the text boxes provided.
- Below that, enter your new email address in the two text boxes provided.
- Click Save.
To change your alias
- Under Admin, click Change Password.
- On the Change Password page, enter your current password in the first text box and below that enter your new password.
- Retype your new password in the third text box, and then click Save.
To change your personal photo
- Under Admin, click Change Alias.
- On the Change Alias page, your current alias will display. Enter your new alias in the text box below, and then click Save.
To receive email notifications
- Under Admin, click Change personal photo.
- Click the Choose File button and select the new photo on your hard drive you now want to use. You will return to this page. It may take a few minutes before the new photo displays on the page.
- Click Save
- Under Admin, click Email notifications.
- On the Email Notifications page, click the User notifications tab.
- Click one or both check boxes for the two options available.
- Click Save.